New Delhi, 12th June 2020: Soon about 50 thousand soldiers will be recruited into the Indian Army. This recruitment will be done under the ‘Tour of Duty’ ie ToD scheme brought by the Ministry of Defence, Government of India.

In the ‘Tour of Duty’ scheme, recruitment will be done for 4 years and after that 75 per cent of the trainees will be fired, while the remaining 25 per cent will be made permanent in the army. Under Army ToD, undergraduate candidates with the age limit of 18 years to 21 years will be appointed for short-term, similar to the Short Service Commission (SSC) already in force in the Army. Candidates selected in the army through the prescribed process are given a temporary job of 10-14 years under SSC.

The selected candidates under the ‘Tour of Duty’ in the Indian Army will be posted in various units/battalions across the country with the rank of Soldier. The salary of their apprentices may be less than that of regular recruits and they will not be given a pension.

Every year about 60 thousand people retire from the Indian Army and during the last two years, due to the Corona epidemic, the army recruitment process has not been organized on a large scale. During the year 2019-20, 80,572 jawans were recruited into the Indian Army. Since then no new recruitment has taken place. Due to this, fresh batches could not be started in 46 Regimental Training Center.

Under the ‘Tour of Duty’ scheme, short-term recruitment will be done not only in the Army but also in the Indian Air Force and Indian Navy. The selected candidates will be appointed for a period of four years in the ranks of Sailor in the Navy and Airman in the Air Force.