The cyclonic storm ‘Gaja’ over interior Tamilnadu moved nearly westwards, weakened into a deep depression and lay centred at 1130 hrs IST of today, the 16th November, 2018 over interior Tamilnadu near latitude 10.5°N and longitude 77.6°E, about 80 km northwest of Madurai. It is very likely to move nearly westwards and weaken further into a depression during next 06 hours and into a well low pressure area during subsequent 12 hours.
Forecast track and intensity are given in the following table:
|Date/Time(IST)||Position (Lat. 0N/ long. 0E)||Maximum sustained surface wind speed (Kmph)||Category of cyclonic disturbance|
|16.11.18/1130||10.5/77.6||50-60 gusting to 70||Deep Depression|
|16.11.18/1730||10.6/76.5||40-50 gusting to 60||Depression|
|16.11.18/2330||10.7/75.4||35-45 gusting to 55||Depression|
|17.11.18/0530||10.8/74.3||20-30 gusting to 40||Well Marked Low|
- Heavy rainfall warnings:
- Rainfall at most places with heavy falls at a few places and very heavy at isolated places over south interior Tamil Nadu and heavy falls at isolated places over north interior Tamil Nadu during next 24 hours. Rainfall at most places with heavy to very heavy falls at isolated places very likely over Kerala during next 24 hours.
- Rainfall at most places with heavy falls at isolated places very likely over Lakshadweep on 17th Nov, 2018.
- Wind warning
- Squally wind speed 50-60 kmph gusting to 70 kmph very likely over interior Tamil Nadu around the centre of deep depression during next 06 hours. It would gradually decrease becoming squally wind speed reaching 40-50 kmph gusting to 60 kmph over same area during subsequent six hours.
- Strong wind speed reaching 30-40 kmph gusting to 50 kmph very likely along & off Kerala coast from 16thNovember evening for subsequent 48 hours.
- Sea condition
Along with squally weather, sea condition will be rough along & off Kerala coast from 16th November evening for subsequent 48 hours.
- Action Suggested:
- The fishermen are advised not to venture into Arabian Sea along & off Kerala coast from 16th November evening for subsequent 48 hours.